Friday, August 21, 2009

Downer at Downer's

I do think Downer's Grove is truly a pure criterium course. It's got tight corners, wide corners, fast corners, technical corners, uphill, downhill. Basically, you must be a complete rider with a full repertoire of bike driving skills to be competitive in this race. I'll be back!

But....

Due to my own laziness and inattentiveness, I was caught out on Saturday as far ahead of me 10 guys decided to sit up and quit. I don't blame them as a Stars and Bars jersey was on the line the next day. It just bums me out that I was behind the quitters and didn't want to be one.

Sunday: Well, I was too far back, again, when the mini-hurricane hit. Then, BAM! A huge tree branch broke off in the 70mph winds and landed about 5 feet from me. I have to admit, it's tough to maintain focus in the rain when you nearly are killed by a falling tree! DNF. Basically, the whole weekend can be summed up by these two pictures:

Safety and....



Family Fail. Note the blue print....