Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Roy Falls, Brew to Brew, 75- 68 OT.

Roy's Boys Fall

Everyone knows how this one ended by now. The amazing thing was how it seems that everyone needed this game to happen. Now, finally KU fans can get over the fact that Roy is gone. Self is here. No one misses Roy anymore. No one second guesses the KUAD anymore. Thank gawd. About time.

This guy was so happy that he took his pants off and got to spend the night in jail without them. Ooooh.


But this adventure of a game did lead to a long night. One of many. 20,000 of my closest friends and I celebrated in the streets until the wee hours of the morning. So, one down. Stage two begins at 630am the day after.....

Brew to Brew

Round 2. This run is to benefit Cystic Fibrosis and what better way to do that than to run from Boulevard Brewery to Free State Brewery? In years past, I've avoided doing this because of... well, really no good reason. And, given that I'm bound and determined to have adventures, "I'm in!" Okay, lets digress.

I started running over the off-season for a number of reasons. 1. Cyclocross/ cross training. Riders tend to be susceptible to nagging injuries due to muscle imbalances and I didn't want that to happen to me. 2. A girl. Yeah, I know. It's always a girl. Actually, it was to avoid embarrassment. I figured IF I could at least keep her from waiting on me too much then my whole, "hey let's go for a run" idea would be a success. 3. Brew to Brew.

Okay, back to now. Not so much then, but now...

I went from celebrating the demise of the UNC Tar Heels in the Final Four to getting in a van not more than 4 hours afterwards. Still feeling the effects of some good, "hydration." Some folks take this thing seriously. C'mon! It's a run from a bar to a bar. How serious can it be? We named the team- wait for it:

"Mustache Rides- 25 Cents. Buy One, Get One Free."


Our Captain.


Matt and the get up.


Yes, this IS a woman in a drive through window at Dairy Queen.



There are 10 of us, but I don't have pictures of the whole team yet. It was, classic. I think we mortified many participants with our less than mature behavior. But man, we had fun. Every one of the mustaches are fake, but they do look good. That was Sunday.

So far, I've ridden on Saturday- 4.5 hours. Celebrated Saturday till about 230am. Got up at 630am, started drinking by 8am, ran 5.7 miles around noon (by the way- running is not my forte). Got sore by 1230pm, while running. Kept drinking. Worked Monday at 7am. And now for the Grand Finale......... drum roll.

75- 68 OT




It's been 20 years and all that I could remember from 1988 was my neighbor shooting fireworks back home in Topeka. KU is the NCAA national Champs. Absolutely phenomenal. Analysts were saying all sorts of things and will say them for many years but here's the endgame and MY comments.

"Scoreboard." -Ben Coles
You do not win a national championship because of luck. Ever.
Memphis did not deserve to win, or they would have.
If a 1 seed plays a 1 seed, there is no dominant favorite, ever.
Time to party like its 1988!!

You could, literally and without exaggeration crowd surf from 6th and Mass St. to 11th and Mass St. There were so many people there that it was like a mosh pit for 6 solid blocks.

Yes, you could crowd surf this.


9th and Mass had a DJ set up in an apartment playing for the crowd.





Utter mayhem, but no violence.


I took refuge at Sunflower Bike Shop


And in walks Steve Tilford! It was 1am and Steve drove in from Topeka to see the show! After all, anytime a once in a lifetime chance presents itself, you have to take it. Have to. I don't want to be lying on my deathbed wishing I did more in my life. It's too short to pass up opportunities like this. Well, one thing led to another and all of a sudden it's about a "billion o'clock." (Shadd Smith).

Steve took this picture of us.


Crazy. Here I am walking down the street giving high fives to hundreds of people. Many of whom I would never really ever have any sort of contact with in, "real life." We were all Kansas fans and we all were national champions. It's a night that will stay with me for as long as I can hold the memory. Always.